Around 10 a.m., a fire broke out on the bottom floor of his house on the Plantsoenstraat. An investigation by the police and fire department indicated that it was a cooking fire.
The victim was not in the vicinity of the stove when the fire began. The police presume that he suffocated due to heavy smoke.
A neighbour alerted the fire department when he saw smoke billowing out of the residence. Members of the fire department found Lo in the house and brought him outside. The victim was resuscitated, but it was too late.