Some 250 mostly international students were evacuated from their residences in student complex Blockhouse in the city centre on Saturday night due to fire. According to the news website Meternieuws, a house fire led to a blown fuse. As a result, electricity cut off throughout the building.
The students were asked to leave the premises for the night so that the fire brigade, police, and energy company Enexis could investigate. The students were offered a bed for the night in cultural centre Oosterpoort, among other places.